Wednesday, October 18, 2006

What Makes a Voice Annoying?

Okay, I work at a place where it is necessary to record audio. We have a couple people who come in throughout the week to do the recordings. For some reason, one of them just really annoys me. If I hear her having a conversation with somebody, that's fine. But when she turns on her "recorder" voice, or whatever the heck it's called, it's soooo annoying.

The odd thing is that I have no idea why. It's not the words she's saying, because half the time I can't understand them. It really bothers me that I can't pin down exactly why her voice annoys me. It just makes my skin crawl.

She doesn't have a lisp, it's not unusually high or low, there's no accent that I can trace. What the heck! It must be something in the cadence or rhythm. Whatever it is, I can't stand it.

That may be what's annoying me so much. If I could just say, "Man, her voice is annoying because she sounds exactly like Beaker from the Muppets," then I think I could handle it. It's like freakishly close to being a normal voice, but just barely off, which gives me this disturbing feeling in my stomach. Make it stop!

If anyone has any information on what makes a pleasant, or unpleasant voice, please let me know. I'm going crazy here.

No comments: