Wednesday, October 11, 2006

And the Winner is...

Recently Paperback Writer held a contest to see who could come up with the best opening line to a story or novel. The prize would be a book of the winner's choice, priced at $30 or less. They would award the prize to three winning lines, one in each of these categories:

Best Line in Contest
Most Humorous Line
Most Intriguing Line

As I was reading through the entries in the contest, I thought I could probably come up with a few, just for craps and laughters. So I entered. Lo and behold, I actually won for the Most Humorous Line. I really don't think it was that funny, and I'm not going to post what it was, because I'm too embarrassed. I'm sure if you really wanted to find it, you could dig around. But here's what was said about it:

"Arthur, you've got a lot going here with this one: a strong intro to your story, a friendly, conversational tone, and a stand-up comedian zinger of a punchline. I also laughed out loud reading it, the litmus test of all humorous lines."


It was totally unworthy of such praise. But I'm still proud that I won. So, why do I share this with you? Because I never win anything and usually just pass over these types of things without even trying. So next time you think to yourself, "Man, I could do that." DO IT! That is all.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats, Arthur! I read your winning entry at PBW and I thought it was funny, too. Now what will you do with that mad book money? ;)

Luke Beecham said...

Congratulations dude! That's awesome. You are very good at clever humor, and I"m impressed always. Have fun spending all that money. :-)

Arthur said...

Thanks for all the congrats folks.

Therese- not sure what I'll do with the book money yet. I imagine I'll buy a book with it, but I don't know which one.

Kaj- "No can do" on posting it. Sorry, I really am embarrassed about it. Just imagine the funniest possible opening line in the world and you're probably pretty close.

Anonymous said...

The reviewer cackled audibly at that? I think that I was more intrigued than anything. I can't wait to see what comes next...