Tuesday, November 30, 2004

Miscarriages and Abortions

This past weekend was pretty special for my family and I. While my brother was in town for Thanksgiving, we met with our priest to name my mom's two miscarriages. First we got to talk with Fr.J about when it happened, and how it affected us. It was difficult to hear my mom talk about those miscarriages. I never realized how much pain something like that can bring, and I never really thought much about it until now. I was too young to remember much of anything, but I guess it had quite an impact on my family, and my mom especially.

It is difficult to think that I have two more brothers. It's like I never really believed it until now. Patrick Hill and Daniel Jacob. What great names. Family names. I knew that my mom had two miscarriages, but it hasn't been until this weekend that it really hit me what that means.

We had a service on Sunday for my brothers. We sang "Memory Eternal." What a fitting song. Memory eternal for two brothers who I have no memory of. I have mixed emotions about the whole thing. It is good to know that they have names, there is something real about being able to call them by name.

So these events have led me to think a bit about abortion and miscarriages and all of that. It is sad to think that some couples actually try to get pregnant, have difficulty doing it, and are devasted when they miscarry. Then there are others who have sex hoping not to get pregnant, are devasted when they do, and are relieved when they can get rid of the Nuisance.

I am obviously against abortion, and find it difficult to understand the opposing view. Please feel free to enlighten me if you or someone you know is pro-"choice." Anyways, those are my thoughts for the day. Feel free to comment.


I am proud to say that Indiana received an "F" in NARAL's "state-by-state report on the Status of Women's Reproductive Rights." See How Your State Did.

Links on the topic:

Pro-Life
Orthodox Church in America's 10th All-American Council
National Right to Life Homepage
LifeNews.com Homepage

Pro-Choice
NARAL: Pro Choice America
Pro Choice Public Education Project

No comments: