Wednesday, December 29, 2004

Christmas Dilemma

Here's a classic Christmas dilemma, and I've always wondered what the proper way to handle this situation is:

You bought someone a gift, and they didn't get one for you. Very simple. Very common. I almost feel worse when I'm the one who got someone a gift, when they didn't get me anything. It's like I know they feel bad, but I don't care about not getting a gift. It's not like we only give presents because we expect one in return. But I definitely feel guilty whenever someone gets me something, and I haven't gotten them anything. An awkward situation for sure.

So what do you do? Do you go out and get something for them after Christmas to make up for it? (SOMEbody I know has already done this) What do you say to the person if you didn't get them anything? What do you say if you did get them something and they feel bad for not getting you anything? Is there any way to alleviate the embarrassment on either side? Does it have to feel awkward? Is it just me? What did you do? (cause I know I'm not the only one to have witnessed this)

No comments: