Thursday, May 10, 2007

Real American Justice?

America needs a better justice system. I don't think I'm saying anything that you would disagree with, as I've never heard anyone say, "The American system of justice RULZ!"

This is a problem that every society faces and one that will probably never be perfected. However, it amazes me that we have made such incredible advances in science and technology, but we still haven't figured out a way to make the risks of molesting a six year old outweigh the benefits. (yes, I know we're dealing with sick people who don't weigh the costs of their actions- it's just an example) That kind of crap still happens way too much and often by the same offender.

A recent example of this is Warren Central senior, Michael Bell, who "allegedly" raped a sixteen year old girl in a Warren Central stairwell. The seventeen year old boy rapist had been involved in an incident two years prior to this event, where he apparently tried to rape someone else.

If you want more examples, just glance through your local paper and read up on the offenders. I'll bet 80% of them have some kind of prior history related to their crime.

So, it seems we aren't doing enough to prevent this kind of crap from happening. Maybe we could ship all of our criminals to Australia? Like I said, I don't have any answers here, but I am encouraged by a couple of recent events that may take us a step in the right direction: Public humiliation.

First up is a story about a judge in Alabama, who sentenced two shoplifters to wear signs that read, "I AM A THIEF- I STOLE FROM WALMART." I happen to think that this is brilliant.



Next is a story about our good friend O.J. Simpson. O.J. was trying to eat some steak before the Kentucky Derby. The owner of the steakhouse (Jeff Ruby) said he would not serve Mr. Simpson and asked him (and his 12-man entourage) to leave the restaurant. "I didn't want to serve him because of my convictions of what he's done to those families."

This is also brilliant. I wish more owners and corporations would act with this kind of integrity.



Anyways, we're not changing the world here, but I like the idea of more public humiliation for our criminals. Not everyone is as recognizable as OJ, so we should brand them all; that way they can be recognized and avoided and discriminated against. I realize this isn't very forgiving, but I'm sick of hearing about rapists, murderers, molesters, and thieves.



(All photos and derivatives used without permission)

Referenced stories below:
Michael Bell rape

Walmart Thieves

OJ Gets Sacked

No comments: