Thursday, March 02, 2006

"You can only dangle the carrot for so long before the donkey remembers who he is..."

That's a little quote I came up with to describe my feelings about my current (and past) work situation. It could be used in a number of circumstances, but for now I'll just write about work.

Really, I don't want to write about work. I'll just write about my little quote (you can tell I'm proud of it). You know that old saying, or fable, or whatever it is about the farmer (or something) who dangles a carrot in front of the donkey to get him to keep going? Yeah, that's me. But I'm not the farmer. There are so many things (well some) that I just keep doing and keep trudging through, because of that stupid carrot that I keep expecting to finally eat. It never comes though. That's the whole point. I'm willing to do so much based on hope. And that really is a good thing and is the foundation of most religions and many other great things. Without hope, why would we do anything? But I'm tired of it at work.

And the problem is that they can keep doing it. They dangle it in front of me, until I realize I'll never get it, then they just dangle it in front of the next donkey until he's tired and broken. Damn the man!

I work hard for the next shiny carrot and things go good for awhile, but sooner or later I take a minute to remember who I am... Just an ass. (no really, I am)

Well, the phone's ringing so I gotta go. Maybe it's the boss calling about that raise........................................................................
................................................................nope, it wasn't.

No comments: