Friday, March 03, 2006

Mushroom Head



I just showed a little girl how George Washington's head can be turned into a mushroom. It's a little trick I like to show kids, cause they ususally get a kick out of it. This girl was no exception. She literally cracked up when she saw his face disappear and a mushroom grew right before her eyes. It was hilarious to see her get so worked up about such a simple trick (and if you want to know how to do it, let me know and I'll tell you for a small fee).

So what's the point? The point is that I could care less about a stupid mushroom head, and you're probably thinking the same thing. The only reason I show it to kids is because I can still remember how funny I thought it was when I was a kid. So I know I can connect with them through that trick. The question is when and why does the trick stop being so funny?

Seriously, if I were to show this to an adult, they would not be the least bit amazed or even slightly amused (well, maybe slightly). Why is that? Why can't I just run around playing tag in the backyard with my wife and think it's like the best time I've ever had? Why am I not entertained by that stuff anymore?

Anyways, I know the answer to all these questions, so don't feel the need to respond. I've just been reminded of how the small things in life used to be so great. So cheers to the little guys and girls out there who still think it's magic to see George Washington's head turn into a mushroom.

No comments: