Thursday, December 21, 2006

Paypal Identity Theft? Use Spoof at Paypal dot com

I just got an email from "service@paypal.com," informing me that I had added a new address (restenterprises@yahoo.com) to my Paypal account. I'm sure if you have a Paypal account, you've probably received a similar message at some point. Of course, I didn't add that address.

I only put this out here because I have a friend who was recently scammed by a similar email. If you ever receive a questionable email from Paypal, all you have to do is forward that email to "spoof at paypal dot com." They will verify whether or not they actually sent the email. You should receive something similar to this:

"Thank you for contacting PayPal about a fraudulent (spoof) email or Web
site. We appreciate you bringing this suspicious email to our attention.

We can confirm that the email you received was not sent by PayPal. Any
website which may be linked to this email is not authorized or used by
PayPal.

Our fraud prevention team is working to disable any website linked to
this email. In the meantime, please do not enter any information into
this website. If you have already done so, you should immediately log
into your PayPal account and change your password, as well as your
security questions and answers. We also recommend that you contact your
bank and credit card company immediately.

Please follow the instructions below to report an unauthorized
transaction associated with your PayPal account: [omitted]"


Just thought I'd throw this out there. Hope it helps.

FYI- If it's from "service@paypal.com" it's probably a scam.

No comments: